4.10.2009

sister, i see you . . . dancing on the stage of memory


so today on the way into work, i had my iPod on random **as always.** the song, "peek-a-boo" by siouxsee and the banshees came on and it immediately reminded me of my sister, hilary. she used to **love** that song when we were growing up and i remember she had the cassette single. we'd listen to that tape over and over again in our room.

i am very fortunate to have some great sisters. yes, i have awesome brothers as well, but there is just something about the bond between sisters. i have become very close with all three of mine over the past couple of years and know that i would be truly lost without them. we are each others' support and voice of reason. i know i could ask any three of them for just about anything and they'd do it, no questions **or at least not a lot of questions** asked. i don't think i could have hand-picked better sisters. they are all my best friends.

i miss sharing a room with them sometimes. i know that we're all grown up and everyone has their own life, but i think back to those days and it's always with a fondness. i can remember heather waking me up in the middle of the night to get into her bed so that she could sneak out and mom wouldn't know she was gone if she came in to check on us **heather's bed was RIGHT near the door and hilary and i shared bunk beds across the room; occassionally mom would peak her head in to check on us, but stuffed pillows in my bed looked like me from across the room** . . . i think about the many years hilary and i shared a room and i think that that was the best time. she was in high school but she always let me hang out with her and her friends and i think it was because sharing that room with her made us so close. i have vague memories of sharing a room with heidi, but i guess the thing i always remember about heidi growing up was how nurturing and caring she was; she always made sure my hair was done and that i matched **no wonder she's such a great mother now.**

overall, i think i have the best sisters in the world. i'm also glad that my sisters-in-law are so amazing. they each bring a different thing to the plate and i feel overwhelmingly grateful to have those 3 extra ladies in my life, and honored to call them **as well as my blood sisters** my friends.

so i tip my hat and with a big smile say: **here's to you, sisters!**

4 comments:

  1. I grew up feeling very sad that I didn't have any sisters (my stepsisters are almost as old as my mom). Now, looking back, I realize we probably would've killed each other.

    You're lucky that you've got good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very touching post. I am always so envious of anyone that has a sister. I got stuck with 3 brothers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got lucky with the three sisters and four brothers, although i don't always remember feeling so lucky with all of them growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I knew he'd texted you a little, but that's not what he was doing ALL DAY! The little SH** was playing solitaire! It was like pulling teeth to get him to stop long enough to take a few pics!

    Sorry you had such a boring Easter! If you were here we would've shared some of Cade's candy ;D

    ReplyDelete