7.19.2009

you're all a bunch of snollygosters!

**SUNDAY**

i watched a show today that i had DVR'd from some random channel called "the joy of lex." obviously, it was about words: their origins, how they become "official" and how they die. i must admit that i was highly intrigued. it made me think about words and their sounds and how much i love them. i don't write much anymore, but when i was in college, my major was actually english with an emphasis in creative writing, moreso poetry than anything else. **i used to write a lot, all the time.** i love everything about it. i haven't done it in a long time. i wish i had the enthusiam about it now that i had then. maybe if i was being graded still, i'd write more. we'll see. maybe i'll start writing more. who knows. but that show is where i got the word "snollygoster" from . . . i'm not even sure it's in the dictionary anymore. however, i won't tell the meaning and i'll let you all google it to find out the meaning, if you already don't know.

in other news, i said that i'd write about the job, so i guess i better do that. i interviewed last monday with a company called MTCI. i know a guy who works there and i sent him my resume; he, in turn, passed it on to the recruiters and i got a call monday morning at 9am to come in for an 11am interview. i hurridly went out to leslie's house to get an outfit for the interview and headed home to iron it. of course it was linen so it didn't iron well, but it looked good enough. i made it to the interview with 15 minutes to spare. i even beat the guy who was interviewing me to the office.

the interview went *very* well . . . he was incredibly impressed with my resume and basically told me i had the job, although he had two other people to interview. he said i'd "definitely" hear from him. so fast forward to **friday afternoon and i still haven't heard from the guy.** i started to lose hope at that point, convinced i wasn't getting the job. however, due to the urging of many people, i called and he apologized for not calling sooner. he told me i had the job, but that he didn't have a start date for me, so he was waiting to call. SOOO relieved. i am very excited and can't wait to start working! especially for those benefits :)

**MONDAY**

in other sad, devastating news. my neighbor and i have been having a mini-feud for the past couple of years. she is like 93 and a pain in the ass (pardon my french). anyway, i have always had a chainlink fence in my backyard and she went ahead and built a cedar privacy fence about 6 inches away from the chainlink. since i have lived here, there have been trees growing between the chainlink and privacy fence. she insists they're my responsibility, because when my brother-in-law lived here with my sister, he would cut the trees back for her **out of the kindness of his heart.** i got my lawn guy to agree to come in a year or two ago to cut the trees down but that he'd have to go into her backyard and remove some of the cedar planks from her fence to do it. she disagreed and they were never cut down. after that, things were prickly between us for awhile until one day they just weren't and she was speaking to me again, although clipped and in short sentences.

fast forward to this last friday. she leaves a note on my burglar bars saying she has found someone to cut down the trees, but that she will need to have them come into my backyard. i didn't want her to cut down the trees -- even though they are hers -- cuz **they provide amazing shade in the backyard** and it's a wall of green on the one side of my yard. it's very pretty. i reluctantly agreed, however, because i didn't want there to be animosity between us anymore. now i am regretting it. the green is slowly being replaced by her ugly cedar fence and the shade is disappating. i stood outside for a bit in my backyard to oversee the project and to make sure they weren't going to cut down my fig tree or any trees on my side of the fence.

[side note: the guy cutting the trees made some snotty remarks to hazel about me coming out earlier and acting as if the trees were mine (my roommate and i were listening to him talk about me through my bedroom window). so i had to get dressed to correct his remarks to hazel. i mean, really, they ARE her trees . . . there isn't much i can do aside from tell them they can't come into my backyard, and that would just make it more difficult for them but they'd get the trees down, so i viewed that as pointless. **i just wanted them to leave my trees alone.**]

hazel comes over to me as i'm standing at my fence watching and she begins to tell me how much easier it will be for me now to care for my lawn, how the trees were ruining her fence, blahblahblah. i admit that i am bitter. i may even be overreacting a bit, but whatever. those trees have been there forever and they look nice.

**old people suck.**

7 comments:

  1. LOL, try living with one. Oh, I'm kidding! Sort of.

    When I was 12, my mom bought me The Superior Person's Book of Words from Restoration Hardware. I LOVED that book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hayley -- i really want to start writing again. i always get a ton of ideas and then have nowhere to go with them after the fourth chapter. i guess i should write out an outline or something. maybe that would help.

    kev -- i wasn't going to let them on, but i knew they'd cut them down either way. it's not as bad as i thought it would be. there are now big holes where the trees were, but they didn't chop them all down. maybe they'll grow back. and kev -- you're just jealous cuz i'm about 20 years younger than you! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I dont care, you have 20 years to TRY and do all the things I've already done. :D Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it will be done . . . and then some! i'll be sure to keep in contact with you through it all, too! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol....well good luck with that. With your fear of fish it will be almost impossible. And fyi, MY bucket list is almost complete. Only have I think 4 things left....shit, with MY luck I'll probably die the day before...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, you're definitely old. if you only have 4 things left on that list, you better start adding some or you're cursing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well the last one on my list will be almost impossible so I have THAT going for me. But unless I add something really out there like lunch with the pope and Queeen of england I really cant think of anything else. lol


    P.S. Screw you and your old comments...;)

    ReplyDelete