2.07.2009

the infamous windchimes




So my neighbor, Hazel, is about 93 years old and ornery as can be. She's constantly yelling at me about my yard in the summer and how some trees need to be cut down at my expense, even though they're on her property. I chalk it up to the lady being 93 and *set in her ways.*

One thing about Hazel is she's really not a bad neighbor. She gives us [my roommate and I] cards at all the appropriate holidays, waves to us when she sees us, delivers our mail if it was accidentally put in her mailbox. Honestly, I can't complain too much. Just about the only thing I can complain about are her windchimes. Well, I guess I should say the only thing I used to complain about.

See . . . I took down her windchimes. I don't like to say I stole them, but they are still in my possession. I'm not exactly sure what to do with them, either. The whole idea was actually my roommate's. Little did I know she was only kidding. But you see, these windchimes hang directly between her bedroom and my bedroom just over Hazel's fence. And when the wind blows, these windchimes go to town! And then we're awake all night, listening to them.

I was anti-taking the windchimes when we first discussed it. I used the whole *she's 93 and needs her windchimes* excuse. But my roommate was persistent. And I really never planned on taking them until one night when I got out of my car that was parked in my driveway and could hear them binging and bonging [it was a windy night]. And suddenly, I caught a glimpse of what the next few hours would be like . . . laying wide awake, tossing and turning, the chiming keeping me awake.

And so, I sprung into action.

Good thing it was like midnight. And good thing I just happened to be wearing a grey and black camoflauge shirt. Not that that would protect me against anything since i was wearing khaki pants, but I suddenly became determined to get them. Quietly I stalked across the yard and opened her fence. I ducked beneath any windows so my shadow wouldn't be seen and I reached up and took them. I tucked them under my arm and ran. Quickly I latched her gate, ran to mine, unlocked it and was finally in the safety of my home. With those blasted windchimes.

And that is where the dilemma lies. My roommate wants me to put them back. But the last week with undisturbed sleep keeps me from doing so. I tell her to put them back but she's a bigger chicken than I am and is afraid of getting caught. And so now, these windchimes lay haplessly on my entry way table. I'm considering hanging them in my living room *as a joke* but not sure I should. I know that technically it's stealing, but it was for a good cause. Mine and my roommate's sanity depended on it!

So now I guess I have these windchimes and nowhere to put them. I will gladly give them to a new home as long as your home isn't next to mine. I have included pictures not only to show how nice they are but to show how BIG they are. They are literally half the size of Colby.

What do you think I should do? Opinions and comments -- but no lecturing, criticizing or chastising -- are welcome!

7 comments:

  1. I bet your glad they haven't been hanging up there the past two days. The wind has been crazy, I'm sure you'd been up all night had they been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly! she was out in her yard today where they normally hang and i don't think she even noticed they weren't there! i think i'm going to give them to leslie . . . she loves windchimes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, those really are half the size of Colby! I think you should give them to Leslie or throw them in the other neighbors trash! Besides, Doesn't Hazel always give you crap about your yard and hasn't she come banging on your gate about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, the red hurts my eyes...you should make it bold or somesing...or maybe I need to use my glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wasn't lying when i said they were big! leslie is definitely getting them. we actually considered throwing them in sue's trash [she's the neighbor on the otherside of us] but we actually *like* sue! she brings us stuff all the time, takes our trash to and from the curb if we forget, watches our house if we need it to be, etc. she's a great neighbor. so i can't see *hiding the evidence* in her trashcan. but like i said . . . i saw leslie's assortment of windchimes and *just knew* that hazel's belonged there, too. i am going to give them to her next time i see her . . . i'll just have to sneak them out of my house so hazel doesn't see me with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that Colby's fingerprints are all over them! I love windchimes, but don't send those to me... I won't use stolen property!

    ReplyDelete
  7. no prob . . . i delivered them to leslie today! so i am no longer in possession of stolen property. that would now be leslie's problem!

    ReplyDelete